Saturday, April 2, 2011

In honor of General Conference Weekend...

I will tell you the amazing opportunity I had a couple of weeks ago. As many of you know, I have been driving up to Salt Lake every day for my month of student teaching with the same carpool of girls. One of these girls invited us all to a sleepover at her aunt's house in Salt Lake, so we all went, excited for a girls night and an opportunity to sleep in 45 minutes the next morning. Even more exciting, guess who her aunt is?

Yep, that's right, I spent the night at this wonderful lady's house. She was, as you would imagine, incredibly hospitable and generous. We had so much fun hanging out and listening to her words of wisdom. She gave us our own little devotional about receiving personal revelation...wow. I had even prayed the day before that if it was appropriate, she would be inspired to tell us something that I needed to hear to help me through the next few months of graduating and growing up and getting careers and all the craziness that has me stressed out. Well she didn't disappoint...that little talk was definitely the thing I needed to hear.

Basically she told us how she once heard Elder Bednar answer a question about personal revelation in this way (I'm paraphrasing): "It doesn't matter if after lots of prayer and meditation you are still unsure that what you are doing is what God wants you to do. As long as you are keeping the commandments and genuinely trying to do the right thing, God will NOT let you choose the wrong thing. If you should choose the wrong thing, with the intention to do the right thing, he will put a roadblock in your way so that it becomes impossible."

Wow that made me feel so much better, as you can imagine. She also counseled us to ask Heavenly Father every day in our prayers to help us learn how to receive personal revelation for ourselves. She said it is something that has taken her her whole life to develop,and it didn't just happen because she willed it to happen- she had to ask to be taught how to receive personal revelation. Wow kind of crazy...I had never thought to ask like that before.

As a side note...guess who dropped by while we were there snacking on hummus?

Apparently Elder and Sis Nelson are neighbors and bffs with Sheri...and Sis Nelson had stopped by to bring in her mail for her. When she saw us in the kitchen snacking, she came up to us and introduced herself. I started to shake her hand but she gave me a HUG. Haha she was so nice and friendly and sweet- truly a disciple of the Lord.

That night was definitely the respite I needed from all the craziness I had been experiencing in my life, as well as a great reminder of what kind of person I want to be, and what I can choose to be :)

2 comments:

Nikki & James said...

whoa!! what a cool opportunity!

James and Megan said...

That is so awesome Kayla!