Sunday, November 7, 2010

The new addition to our family...



I have always been fairly indifferent towards guns. I don't hunt, I don't have immediate family members that own guns, and I'm not a gangbanger. I also figure, I'm a klutz, it's probably not a good idea for me to be in the possession of a firearm. I respect the constitutional right that we have to bear arms, but up until a few months ago, I never really planned on exercising that right.

Then I married Mitch.

When I first started dating Mitch, he was planning on going into law enforcement and eventually becoming a detective. He was the first person I had ever met that had a passion for that field, and needless to say I learned a lot from him over the months. At his core, he is a protector. He has this drive to help and protect people unlike anything I've ever seen before...which is what led him to be interested in that field. He has been through the police academy but is still in school getting a degree in criminal justice. He is still thinking about what direction he wants to go in for a career, but I think that his desire to protect will drive whatever career he chooses. Anyway, back to guns.

For the above reasons, Mitch is a fan of guns. That may be an understatement. But after going through the academy and hearing lots of firsthand stories from people who have been helpless in dangerous situations, Mitch feels the need to always be prepared. So, when he got his concealed weapons permit at the academy, he started carrying his glock 9mm all the time...and I mean all the time.

Surprisingly...it didn't take me long to get used to it at all. I think I thought it was weird for like a day, and now I'm so used to it I have a hard time understanding why people think it's so weird. If at this point you're weirded out, you may want to stop reading.

Well a couple months ago, Mitch was at work (he's a security guard) and during his graveyard shift at 3 am, he found a guitar laying in the middle of the road. He waited around for a while, took it inside and was there for several more hours, and no one claimed it. He put it up on KSL listing it as lost, still nothing. We had this thing for two months. It was taking up space in our tiny apartment, so he finally decided to sell it or trade it. He got it appraised, turns out it was worth 350 bucks. Well before long some guy asked him if he wanted to trade his SKS rifle for the guitar. Mitch was like...heck yeah. (I would have preferred cash but he hadnt had any of those offers haha. )

So he brought this baby home:


This rifle was in our possession for about 2 weeks. Then Mitch found out the ammo was ridiculously expensive, so he went to a gun place and traded it for this:


The Ruger LCP. It may not look impressive, but this thing can pack a punch. It is also tiny, which is part of its appeal. He got it to be easier to conceal, and on the off chance that I want to start carrying a gun on me in the near future, it will fit nicely in my purse.

Here it is compared to the 9mm:


And here compared to a credit card:



Really these pictures don't do it justice for how tiny it is...but if you just think about how small a credit card is you get the idea. Suffice it to say, it is amazing. And we got it for free. Mitch's armory is slowly growing :D


1 comment:

Nikki & James said...

DON'T TELL JAMES!! haha he wants to get one so bad!